Do you know why we heard that chocolate has antioxidant and prevent cancer and heart attack but we didn't heard anything about turnip?
Yes.You are right!
Big companies sell chocolate.What about turnip?
There are 9 things that may help you about turnip:
1. Turnips are root vegetable which is about the size of a small apple, with a firm white skin that has a blush of purple on the shoulders
2. Turnip is rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that can help prevent asthma symptoms, all form of cancer, skin problem and eye disorders.
3. Turnip has insoluble fiber that can protect against atherosclerosis.
4. It prevent diabetes,cataract,cardio vascular disease,abdominal,pancreatic and cancer.
5. It helps in maintaining a good physique as there is no excess fat and minimum calories
6. Turnips were also used in disorders of the urinary tract, being used as a diuretic and to cure kidney stones. Gout and arthritis were treated with them. They were used as a remedy for bronchitis, and the juice was used in the treatment of tuberculosis. Turnip juice was also used as a decongestant in colds, catarrh and coughs.
7. Individuals with thyroid problems should limit or avoid eating food turnips because it contains substances called goitrogens which can interfere with the functioning of the thyroid gland.
8. When buying turnips always choose the smaller one because it has a sweeter flavor. Larger turnips can have a more woody texture. Choose turnips that has a smooth skin and without blemishes. Store in the refrigerator crisper, and use within a week or so.
9. How to prepare it :Remove the leaf end and root end. Larger turnips should be peeled, but smaller turnips whose size is less than 2 inches (5cm) in diameter can be cooked without peeling. Thinly sliced turnips have a crisp texture, and can be eaten raw. When use as an ingredient to some dishes, it should be cut into cubes and cook for about 6 to 10 minutes.